Our work is fundamentally about making Carolina a more family-friendly workplace. We do this by working to:
Expand access to quality, affordable child care for all UNC families
A graduate student parent and their child rally in support of a child care subsidy referendum.
- Our Director serves on the Chancellor’s Child Care Advisory Committee.
- We advocate for increased subsidies and child care assistance for UNC families.
- We host and coordinate the parenting @UNC website.
- We have an ongoing collaboration with the Graduate and Professional Student Federation and Student Parent Association to plan programming for student parents and to revise the UNC Parenting Resource Guide (pdf).
- We have spearheaded efforts to have childcare facilities included in the new Carolina North and University Square developments. Day care is one of the permitted uses in the CN project and the director of the University Square project has expressed interest in having a child care facility there.
- We work to address the special needs of student and postdoc parents through programs like What to Expect When You’re Expecting @ UNC, a workshop for new parents, currently on hiatus due to staffing shortages. See the What to Expect When You’re Expecting webpage in the interim.
- Center staff helped found and have served as an adviser to the Pregnant & Parenting Student Support Group, now known as the Student Parent Association.
Increase lactation resources to support breastfeeding moms and help ease the transition back to work
Former CWC Associate Director Ashley Fogle (with son, Leif) accepts a “Breastfeeding-Friendly Business” award on behalf of UNC-Chapel Hill in August 2010.
- We continue to work to increase the number of Lactation Rooms on campus. Currently there are 10 rooms; in 2006, there were 2.
- We are currently investigating ways to improve existing lactation resources for the women who use them.
- We collaborate with and support the efforts of the Carolina Global Breastfeeding Initiative in the Gillings School of Global Public Health. CGBI Director Dr. Miriam Labbok was the Fall 2011 CWC Faculty Scholar. CWC staff work with Carolina BEBES, a student group dedicated to evidence-based education and support for birth and breastfeeding, and have participated in the Faculty Working Group on Infant and Young Child Feeding.
Make paid parental leave more widely available to UNC families.
- We are currently researching the parental leave policies of our peer institutions to support our advocacy for parental leave for UNC staff employees. Paid parental leave is already available to faculty, postdoctoral scholars, and some graduate students.
- We work to help ensure that everyone is able to freely access the benefits to which they are entitled.