The Women’s Center proudly houses the Gender Violence Services Coordinators (GVSCs). The role of the GVSC is to be a confidential advocate to all students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds and identities who have experienced, or are experiencing, interpersonal violence and gender-based violence either before or during their time at Carolina. Cassidy Johnson and Holly Lovern serve as the GVSCs. Cassidy and Holly can provide the following services:
- Emotional support
- Assistance in understanding reporting options and navigating reporting processes
- Accompaniment to meetings and hearings
- Referrals to University and community resources
- Safety planning
- Assistance with requesting housing and academic accommodations
- Information and education for University and community groups
What is gender-based violence?
Gender-based violence is “the general term used to capture violence that occurs as a result of the normative role expectations associated with each gender, along with the unequal power relationships between… genders, within the context of a specific society” (Bloom 2008, p14).
What are some types of gender-based violence?
- Sexual assault or sexual violence
- Sexual exploitation
- Interpersonal Violence (also known as Domestic Violence or Relationship Violence, can be physical, verbal, emotional or psychological, financial)
- Sexual- or gender-based harassment
At UNC, discrimination and harassment based on age, color, creed, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and veteran status is prohibited.
How to get in touch with Cassidy and/or Holly:
Cassidy and Holly are available to meet with students, faculty, and staff Monday-Friday 9am-4pm. You can get in touch by any of the methods below.
Drop in hours (can walk in with no appointment):
Mondays 1-4pm in 173 Koury Residence Hall. You do NOT need a key to get into this part of the building! Drop in hours will resume for the Spring semester on Monday 1/9. Note: There will not be drop in hours on 1/16 due to the holiday.
Thursdays 3-5pm in the LGBTQ Center. Drop in hours will resume for the Spring semester on Thursday 1/12. Note: Drop in hours on 1/19 will be from 3-4 pm only.
Email: email@example.com to set up an appointment. Cassidy or Holly will respond to your email within 24 hours or the next business day.
*Please note: Email is not a secure method of communication and confidentiality cannot be ensured by email communication. You do not need to disclose any sensitive information about your experience via email in order to contact the Gender Violence Services Coordinators or schedule a time to meet.*
Phone (business hours only): To contact Cassidy, call 919-962-1343. To contact Holly, call 919-962-7430. If unable to answer, Cassidy or Holly will respond to your message as soon as possible.
What if you need help after business hours or on a weekend? (*denotes confidential resources)
- Call 911
- Call Department of Public Safety (DPS) 919-962-8100 (you can also ask for the on-call Dean of Students through DPS)
- Go to the UNC Hospitals Emergency Department*
- Contact your RA
- Call OCRCC 866-WE-LISTEN (hotline and resources for survivors of sexual violence)*
- Call Compass Center 919-929-7122 (hotline and resources for survivors of relationship/domestic violence)*
- Safe at UNC website: safe.unc.edu/get-help-now